«There is no no doubt that the search should have turned up these firearms.»
The shooting occurred overnight Friday and the guns were found the next day.
Forensic officers are examining the weapons to check whether they are linked to Friday night’s shooting.
Arrests are yet to be made over the fatal shooting.
Mr O’Shea is the eighth man to be shot dead in as many weeks in Melbourne.
Police say the shooting is not linked to others, adding O’Shea was known to police and had associates in Middle Eastern crime and outlaw motorcycle gangs.
Ms Walsh made a plea for family and friends of young men who have guns in their possession to dob them into police.
«Family members would know about risks and tensions – and I appeal for people to get in contact with us via Crime Stoppers anonymously and help us take guns out of the community and stop this,» she said.
«No good can come from this – when young men are dead or incarcerated for the rest of their lives.»
Mr O’Shea’s is the latest in a string of killings on the city’s streets in the past two months.
Eight men have died in six shootings since March 1 and charges have been laid for only three of the attacks.
Police are seeking CCTV footage of the shooting and nearby areas.
- MARCH 1 Craigieburn dad Ben Toigai, 30, was shot dead and two others injured outside a Kensington boxing match. Abdullah El Nasher, 27, and Mikhael Myko, 25, are charged.
- MARCH 3 Mitat Rasimi, aged in his 50s, died after crashing his car into a pole at Dandenong, but police believe gunshots he received earlier caused his death. An arrest is yet to be made.
- MARCH 4 Ali Ali, 28, and Deniz Hasan, 40 die after being shot at Meadow Heights. Norden Wilio, 23, has been charged.
- MARCH 10 Winis Apet shot dead at Springvale allegedly by 19-year-old Paguir Pan.
- APRIL 14 Security guard Aaron Khalid Osmani, 37, and patron Richard Arow, 28, die after being shot outside the Love Machine night club. No arrests made.
- APRIL 26 Daniel O’Shea, 41, is found dead at Fawkner Park at South Yarra. No arrests made.